Saturday, December 22, 2012

Day One Without the Mayan Calendar

Bhu:  Hey mom, we're still here! 
Patty:  Or so it seems, Bhu.  There's all sortsa stuff out there that we don't know about so keep your eyes and ears open and take cover if you hear a loud bang.  In the meantime, we will have to take things one day at a time. 

I'm going to try to write a couple of letters this week to old friends who sent holiday cards!  I stopped sending cards several years ago because I was convinced that it was another one of those holiday traditions that is so ecologically unwise.  But it is such a treat to hear from people who are so far away, even if it is only once a year . . . whatever it takes to get them to say Hi -- I'm cool with that.   So in order to comfort my qualms about the ecological ramifications, I am going to make my own cards from stuff I already have.  One of my fondest memories is of sitting at the kitchen table in my little two-bedroom apartment in Astoria, Queens (I had just turned 20) with my box of watercolors and Prismacolor pencils painting angels, christmas trees, holly and cardinals on paper I'd cut to greeting card size (this was, of course, pre-Hobby Lobby).  I had to put the cards on the radiator to dry; I always mixed my paints too wet! 

Bhu, Sabryin and I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!  We'll be back on Chrismas Day!  xxoo

No comments: